Thursday, June 5, 2008

How could anything be as bad as writer's block?

There is such a thing as TOO many ideas. My brain is racing, I need to submit this here, that there, apply for these assignments, post these 35 blog posts that I have in my head (especially my book reviews blog, there's not even ONE up there yet!), start that ebook I've been talking about for a year and read other blogs and comment all while also needing to find time to read and eat and walk the dog and actually look up from my computer to talk to this dude that lives with me, I think he's still my boyfriend at least...he hasn't come home from work yet and it's getting late....
Well, then I sit down to actually start taking care of all this and...NOTHING. I sit down and I stare. Just stare. I don't know where to begin, I don't know which would be best to do first. Then if I actually DO get one started, ideas from another topic start surfacing and I have to go tend those so I don't forget those great one-liners, but then it becomes 15 open word documents of two-sentence pieces. And they don't work just mashed together in some experimental attempt to be like Samuel Beckett. Besides, I'm going to leave that back in my highschool days when I thought I was a 90's beatnik.
Soooooo what I have started doing is keeping a running list then, although not "green", I write each on separate post-it notes and only look at ONE at a time. My brain gets fried trying to view everything I have to do at once and likes it so much better when it thinks it only has to do one thing.
So does anyone else have this problem? And what do you do for it to keep you on task and get it all done? Write like mad? Stare like I do? Give up on the least promising ones and focus more energy on the best?

No comments: