Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Freelance Writing: SALES

I've mentioned before about how when you're a freelancer you are every department. Marketing, HR, Accounting, etc. What I have recently found out is that you are also your own sales department.
I have ALWAYS hated salespeople and although it's one of the highest paying fields that doesn't require a degree, I have never been the type to be able to sell things. When I was a telemarketer in college we had scripts of things to say in different situations of rejection, as soon as the words "no thank you" came out of their mouth we were supposed to launch right into another paragraph to get them to change their minds. Not really my style, I'm a little more low-key, a little more chill...ok, I'm a flippin' introvert who absolutely cannot push anything on anyone.

BUT I found that I'm actually not too bad at sales in the freelance world. Recently I scored a gig writing some web/SEO content for a web design company. In reviewing their site I noticed they had a blog, I sent an email to the client letting her know I'd noticed the blog, would love to help her write articles and could send her my rates if she was interested. She said she was. WHAT? I had to read it again... did I really just cross-sell something?
THEN, since hers is a company that designs websites she also offered to start offering copy writing to her clients that she could then pass on to me...SAY WHAT?

This is by far the best client I've ever had and I've been pretty lucky in the client category so far.
I've learned that it definitely pays to cross-sell your services and put it out there that you are looking for a lasting professional relationship with your clients. Maybe most of you have been doing this, but if you haven't then please do. Look around their site and see if there are any other services you could sell them on, then like a good salesperson, perhaps even offer them a discount for it.

No comments: