Sunday, August 17, 2008

Positive Thinking and the Freelance Writer

The life of the freelance writer can be quite hard. The rejection specifically can make or break a freelancer. However, I'm a huge believer in the power of positive thinking. Perhaps a bit Romantic, idealistic, ethereal, woo-woo, whatever. It seems to work for me.

Negative thinking and discouragement brings you down, it puts up a block in your brain and inhibits your ability to write anything besides self-deprecating words in your diary. It puts a cloud over everything and what you do end up writing you will often end up deleting immediately.

As writers, we're often sensitive, easily overthrown, fragile even. Have you heard that thing about how it takes like 12 positive comments to make up for one negative one? Rings pretty true.

So, as much as I may be at risk of sounding like a certain SNL sketch from the 90's (I'm good enough, I'm smart enough and gosh darn it, people like me. ...) here are a few things to help keep you thinking positively...

1) Write down 3 things you want from your writing, three goals, three positive thoughts, whatever and tack them on your computer or somewhere you can see them. But don't write something like "I want to be a better writer." That statement causes your brain to assume you aren't already good enough and although we should all strive to be better writers, it's the semantics that put up a block in your brain. Use something else like "I am a good/great writer" or use past goals completed like this: "I got 12 query letters out last month" to remind you that you are working hard and meeting your goals. I don't pretend to be a psychologist, but this seems to work well for me. It gives me a sense of pride in my accomplishments and motivates me to keep it up.

2) Write affirmations. Freewrite some affirmations in private, in a journal or whatever. Just keep listing positive qualities about yourself and your writing in particular. Eventually they will somehow become true to you. Write things that may even feel ridiculous or arrogant. Things like: I am an awesome writer, I will get my latest article published (even be specific in the article title), etc. and even start listing your accomplishments. It will help to bring about a confidence in yourself that you can absolutely do this, you can absolutely be a published writer.

3) Be audacious. Put yourself out there and attack every opportunity with energy and focus and positive thinking. The more you do so, the more you may be rejected, yes--but also the more you have the opportunity to learn from those rejections, and the more potential you have to gain those bylines.

4) Never use "I can't" statements. Whether verbally, in thought, or in writing, don't ever let yourself believe you can't do something. If you believe it, it will likely be true and it will often come to simply being you won't do it.

I'm more than guilty of delving into negative thoughts, but practicing these 4 things helps to keep me on track more often than not. Of course negative thoughts and statements creep up here and there, but certainly less often when I am practicing positive thinking and I credit much of this practice to my successes I've had.

No comments: