Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Associated Content and Others: Why You Shouldn't "Give" Your Content Away

I found out today exactly WHY I do not generally use sites like Associated Content or eHow to make a little extra money between gigs or even just for fun. Some people swear by these sites to earn a little extra. They keep paying over time, and if you write enough, apparently you can make quite a bit of money. Also, they help get your name on Google more, and keep you writing and it's one more way to market yourself.

BUT there's one caveat that really keeps me from submitting to these sites...

As I was browsing submission guidelines to various publications I came across a pub that paid $150-$300 per article. So, a looooooong time ago on a similar article site as Associated Content, I posted an article that I realized today was a perfect fit for this publication.

And of course, guess what? They do not accept previously published material, online or otherwise. Now, I actually still own all the rights, unlike the various rights options you have at AC, but I still was unable to submit this article because it was previously published. Not a cool feeling at all.

Now, I suppose I could revise it, but the type of article it is and involving personal experience, it just didn't work that way. Years ago when this article was put on the web it never entered my mind that I would use it later and here I am kicking myself because I could have possibly sold it for a whole lot more than I originally got for it.

Before you submit to these sort of sites like eHow and AC, hold onto it for awhile and look around for other possible submission options. There is a need for all sorts of articles out there and even if you only get $15 for it, that's likely still more than you'd get at AC or others, not to mention it would probably be a bit more credible of a source that you can send potential clients to.

Nothing against AC, eHow or the like, just exhaust your options before you virtually give your content away. You may be seriously kicking yourself someday if you don't.

No comments: