Friday, October 3, 2008

Setting Your Freelance Writing Goals

When it comes to setting freelance writing goals most people have a different process. Some swear by their method, others by theirs and I think all methods are correct depending on YOU.

Here are the two main methods I see most often:

1) Set your goals to be reachable. Some say that setting goals too high will just disappoint you, and sometimes this is the case. Again it depends on how you operate. Do you like slow and steady? Do you like the feeling of achieving goals regularly? Who doesn't? It feels good to keep moving. But some thrive off of hitting those goals from week to week. Does getting those smaller goals out of the way motivate you? This is the one for you then.

2) Set your goals sky high. This is often regarded as the best way to stress yourself out and disappoint. This is the one that works for me though. When I set my goals high I am more likely to throw myself into it fully thus passing any smaller "would-be goals" along the way.
When I set a small goal I will reach it then stop there to reassess whereas when I set them higher it effectively motivates me to plow over those smaller ones to get to the next level. I don't always meet those larger goals but I am also able to feel satisfied with what I did accomplish towards it.

3) A synthesis of both. (duh). This method is highly recommended. I don't follow it well enough, I tend to be too manic but it seems to be the most generally logical way to set goals for most people.
Imagine the biggest thing you want to accomplish with your freelance writing. Then, form a tree that branches down identifying "stepping-stone goals" that could get you there. That way you have varying degrees of difficulty to overcome, can work on the smaller goals needed to get there and still have your eye on the big guy.
This helps to organize your thoughts, your process and what you want from your career. But again, you may prove to be more effective with one of the other two above or your own plan.

It all comes down to knowing how you operate and figuring out what works best for you, these are just simple guidelines to get you started.

In short: Don't listen to what self-help books tell you on HOW to set your goals, figure out what works for YOU.

No comments: