Monday, September 29, 2008

Tip #2 continued from the last post "What Else Can You do as a Freelance Writer?"

Last time I posted about teaching in general and identifying the needs of a client to gain work, play it to your advantage, etc.

This time I want to write about volunteering.

I recently started the process for volunteering to teach literacy to adults. 1 in 3 people in Houston are functionally illiterate so that's over 1 million people in just my area that can't even read the words we write. This often keeps them from getting better jobs as they have to get jobs that don't require any writing or reading...mostly blue collar jobs like construction where their paycheck comes up short whenever it rains.

I consider myself very lucky to have been born into a family that regards reading and writing as the bread of life which then enabled me to pursue writing and a freelance career. So it feels great to be able to pass on that knowledge that has become so commonplace to me.

Consider volunteering in any capacity. Relate it to your writing if you want, teach creative writing workshops to inner-city kids, volunteer with a literary arts organization in your area or whatnot. You'll help someone else which in turn can help you. Helping others is a great way to spark a different sort of creativity in yourself. It helps keep stress levels low and can kick depression or cabin fever out.

No comments: